Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

On 2020-04-11, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Vi, 10 apr 20, 08:24:41, Anil Felipe Duggirala wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if somehow ISPs here have a more detailed (precise
>> location) database based on IP, or if that is possible at all.

It would be interesting to know if there is an appreciable difference in
precision between Maps and Night Light before you fixed the latter's
imprecision (about which you complained in another thread here) by
presumably feeding it manually your latitudinal and longitudinal
coordinates. Because one would assume both apps would use the same IP
method to locate the user for the case of a user whose geolocation
services have been toggled off (or never toggled on) in his privacy
settings.

Of course, David W. is right (and also Wright!) to say we don't know
what you mean, exactly---at what level of granularity is Maps locating
you precisely (country/city/neighborhood/street/apartment
building/etc...)?

Rather than positing some egregious violation of user configuration on
the part of Maps, I was theorizing in an earlier post that a precision
on its part that couldn't be explained by simply inference from your IP
address might possibly be explained by Night Light sharing the
coordinates you provided it not long ago (if indeed you did do that, as
you never stated this explicitly, either). Whether that would be a bug
or not remains unclear to me.