Re: apache 2.4 configuration

On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 12:43:58PM +0100, Joe wrote:
Localhost is the machine running Apache. The normal IP address for it
is 127.0.0.1, though there are others. It isn't an Apache thing, it's a
networking thing. It's referred to in network configuration as 'lo'.

If you install Apache2.X on Debian, do nothing else at all, and enter
just 'localhost' in a web browser address window (running on the same
machine as Apache) then you will see the Apache 2 Debian Default Page,
at /var/www/html/index.html which basically shows that Apache is
running, and gives a few details about configuration.

If you can see this page, or whatever you may have replaced it with,
then Apache is running, which is half the problem solved. Always check
this first if you have problems (I leave this page in place, despite the
encouragement to replace it) as Apache is quite fussy, and will refuse
to run under some conditions. If it's not running, check
/var/log/apache2/error.log for the reason.

Joe, I thank you for the explanation.  Because "localhost" did not
display the Apache2 Debian default page, I began by reinstalling
Apache, whereupon the page was displayed.

Next, I checked the local file with my alias declarations, and in it I
found an error.  Then I checked the configuration file in
"/etc/apache2/conf-available" which points to the local file.

After enabling the pointer file, "systemctl reload apache2" failed to
restart Apache.  But systemctl suggested I run "journalctl -xe", and
journalctl pinpointed the line number with the error.  I also looked
at "/var/log/apache2/error.log", but it was not as helpful.

I quickly found the remaining problem (a dot rather than a hyphen in a
file name), and now things are running right.  So at last I can return
to the tutorial.  Again, thanks.

RLH