Re: New RAM, does Debian has a tool to benchmark?

On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 09:26:06PM +0300, dalios wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I just purchased new RAM for my Debian Stable running PC to upgrade its
> performance. I currently have 4GB and the new one is 8GB so I will have
> 12GB total.
>
> My question is this: is there a tool in the repositories which I can use
> to measure the system's performance with 4GB and then with 12GB of RAM
> in order to see if it was a worthy choice?

There is not enough information to adequately answer your question.

However, some things to consider are:

- Did you get on 8 GB module or two 4 GB modules, and is your existing 4
  GB in a single module or two 2 GB modules?  Many motherboard perform
  better with memory modules in matched pairs, so if you started with a
  single 4 GB module and added a single 8 GB module, you may not add as
  much performance as you might have epxected.
- Do you computing tasks include things that require lots of high speed
  access to main memory (e.g., manipulating large mathematical arrays)
  like in scientific computing?  If not, then you may find that a
  benchmark does not give you much useful information since you may not
  be using the RAM near its performance limit.
- Did you previously find that 4 GB was simply inadequate and that your
  machine spent lots of time swapping?  If so, then simply adding 8 GB
  more of memory may effectively eliminate the need for your system to
  swap.  A benchmark would be largely irrelevant there since your
  comparison would be between a spinning HDD or SSD and RAM; even the
  "slowest" RAM is literally orders of magnitude faster than any
  spinning HDD and still a great deal faster than SSD.

In any event, an idea of what sorts of information you are seeking from
the benchmark would make it possible to give more relevant advice.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sánchez