Re: Two graphics cards? Intel and AMD/ATI? What xserver-xorg-* I can uninstall?

On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 10:40:10AM -0300, Marcelo Laia wrote:
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
> 03:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445 / 530/535 / 620/625 Mobile]

OK.

> The lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga commands shows:
>
> marcelo@marcelo:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0a16] (rev 0b)
> 	Subsystem: Dell Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller [1028:0640]
> 	Kernel driver in use: i915
> marcelo@marcelo:~$
>
> I'm totally confused!

That command only shows one of your cards, and not the other.  It's
simply not a command that gives you much useful information in this
situation.

> What xorg package I can uninstall?

What on earth makes you think you need to REMOVE software in order to get
the results you desire?

What even makes you think you're not already using the AMD card?

You need to check your X or Wayland logs before doing anything else.
Maybe you're already using the card and driver that you want to use.

If it turns out that you're not using the desired card, then there are
a few things you can look into next:

1) lspci -nn

Don't try to grep it or anything, because one of the cards doesn't show
up with the characters "VGA" in its output.  Just post both of the lines
from this command, one for each card, which will give us the PCI ID
to identify the hardware.

2) dmesg | grep -i firmware

See if the kernel is trying to load any firmware and failing.  If so,
you will probably want to install some of the non-free firmware packages
to support your hardware.  This may involve adding contrib and non-free
to your sources.list.

3) Google your PCI ID together with keywords like "debian" to see if there
   are any success stories for using your hardware on Debian.

Usually you are not the first person to attempt something.  Learn from
those who came before.