Re: python3 modules -- apt vs pip?

On 4/3/20 11:54 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> I've been using apt (and friends) to maintain my systems, including
> python.  Today I discovered the Debian version of the more-itertools
> module is on version 4.2.0 and is three years old.  Meanwhile, the
> version documented on pypi.org is at version 8.2.0, and has at least one
> recipe whose arguments  are in a different order from the Debian
> packaged version (grouper, whose order of arguments changed in version
> 6.0.0).  This causes problems, as you might imagine, with other modules!
>
> So... do people generally use pip to maintain their python libraries,
> rather than apt?  What's the recommended best practices here?

I'd say the right course of actions would be to open a bug report that
there is a new upstream version available for python3-more-itertools.

In general there are tons of modules which will never be packaged. So
depending on your needs you might need to maintain local modules.

Python provides virtualenv, plus one can install most of the modules
locally with pip3 install --user <blabla> which will install the modules
in ~/.local/lib and tools in ~/.local/bin, so don't forget to add this
to your PATH.

I'd also say that one shouldn't use sudo pip3 since there are high
chances to mess up packages and system.

Also should be careful with names of python packages since mistyping can
lead to installation of malicious software and with sudo it makes it
even more fun - google for "python malicious packages"