python3 modules -- apt vs pip?

I've been using apt (and friends) to maintain my systems, including
python.  Today I discovered the Debian version of the more-itertools
module is on version 4.2.0 and is three years old.  Meanwhile, the
version documented on pypi.org is at version 8.2.0, and has at least one
recipe whose arguments  are in a different order from the Debian
packaged version (grouper, whose order of arguments changed in version
6.0.0).  This causes problems, as you might imagine, with other modules!

So... do people generally use pip to maintain their python libraries,
rather than apt?  What's the recommended best practices here?