Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

On 2020-04-03 at 17:40, elvis wrote:

> On 3/4/20 11:04 pm, Martin McCormick wrote:
>
>> The only thing that I truly miss after upgrading to buster is that
>> the package known as ckermit has fallen beside the road.
>>
>> I had a hard-drive fail on one system so installed buster from
>> installation media and the ckermit package apparently isn't part of
>> the distribution any more.
>
> Have you tried compiling from source? Just because it wasn't
> packaged, doesn't mean that you can't try installing it yourself...
> does it say why it was dropped anywhere?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=918061 and
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=921098 are the best
I've found on it.

Basically, no maintainer activity in years, and multiple RC bugs.

If there's an upstream active enough that any upstream aspects of the RC
bugs can be addressed, and if someone were to volunteer to maintain it
and fix any packaging-related aspects of the RC bugs, there's probably
no reason this couldn't be reintroduced. Depending on what those bugs
were (I haven't bothered digging for that info), that might be a tall
order, or it might be trivial.

--
   The Wanderer