Re: network-manager takes 1-4 restarts in order to recognize and connect to already-configured wifi network, USB dongle NIC

On Sun 29 Mar 2020 at 13:46:05 (+0100), G.W. Haywood wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2020, Alan Tu wrote:
>
> > ... "Debian testing" system ... network-manager 1.22.8-1. ...
> > # systemctl restart network-manager
> > After one to four times of this, eventually network-manager
> > establishes the network connection.
>
> It seems to me that network-manager is only really useful for people
> with no more knowledge of their network configuration than the average
> Windows user.  If you have already configured your network connections
> I guess that you know more about your networks than that (very likely
> more than the authors of network-manager too).  Therefore it can do
> little but harm to allow network-manager to get itself involved.

I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to insult FOSS developers
in this manner. Please desist.

> My networks tend to be slightly more complex than most, but it is only
> slightly.  Even so, I have yet to find network-manager does anything
> except cause trouble.  I see much ire directed toward systemd but IMHO
> network-manager deserves more.  For probably the past decade it's been
> the amongst the first things that I'll purge from a freshly installed
> Debian system.
>
> Seting up a simple network really isn't at all difficult.  You have to
> pick sane IP addresses and network masks for your interfaces, script
> them and a few routes, and perhaps load a module or two to get the
> interfaces running if that doesn't happen by default in the gargantuan
> Debian kernels.  Wireless networks can be a bit more complex but every
> operation is a simple one-liner, and, for twenty-five years, even in
> the most complex networks that I've worked with, I don't think I've
> ever needed more than a dozen lines in rc.local to set up networking
> for any of a couple of hundred machines.  It's _much_ easier to learn
> how to set up your network than it is to find out what network-manager
> has done to screw things up; and when you have that basic knowledge
> under your belt it's a great deal easier to find out what's gone wrong
> when it does (for example when you rashly type 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
> which the past three or four times has, each time I've done it, broken
> increasingly badly most systems that I've done it to - apparently many
> and misguided attempts to solve problems I've never actually had).

Have you submitted bug reports? That's how they improve Debian testing.

Cheers,
David.