Over-engineering, Libre Software and Open Source (was: HTML mail + PDF attachments)

tomas@tuxteam.de (12020-03-26):
> [3] I don't think it's really intentional. It's an unfortunate and
>    contagious antipattern, a bit like prions transmit Creutzfeld-Jacob.
>    But nowadays I suspect that some actors help its expansion because
>    it helps their business interests. Or something.

This specific one is probably just laziness. But you are right to
emphasize this phenomenon.

The PR of the Libre Software movement has been successful: people have
internalized the fact that Libre Software is good. But the education
efforts have been unsuccessful: people have not learned why Libre
Software is good.

As a result, we see many actors who try to reap the benefits without
sowing the seeds: to get the PR boost of “doing Open Source” without
actually giving their code. To do that, they give the raw code itself,
but make it immensely complicated, and do not give the know-how to work
on it, or even to make it work.

I like your comparison with prions: when over-engineered software
become frequent, good software needs to become more complex in order to
be able to interact with it.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George