Re: Over-engineering, Libre Software and Open Source (was: HTML mail + PDF attachments)

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 04:39:10PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de (12020-03-26):
> > [3] I don't think it's really intentional. It's an unfortunate and
> >    contagious antipattern, a bit like prions transmit Creutzfeld-Jacob.
> >    But nowadays I suspect that some actors help its expansion because
> >    it helps their business interests. Or something.

Glad my strange rant finds some appreciation. I'm having a hard time
to even pack this in words.

> This specific one is probably just laziness. But you are right to
> emphasize this phenomenon.

That's the point. Lazyness is always a part of it. But there are
counter-parts. They might be more sinister. Or not.

Like in other realms: don't invest in education and people will
stay more malleable.

> The PR of the Libre Software movement has been successful: people have
> internalized the fact that Libre Software is good. But the education
> efforts have been unsuccessful: people have not learned why Libre
> Software is good.

It is kinda difficult to explain, isn't it?

> As a result, we see many actors who try to reap the benefits without
> sowing the seeds: to get the PR boost of “doing Open Source” without
> actually giving their code. To do that, they give the raw code itself,
> but make it immensely complicated, and do not give the know-how to work
> on it, or even to make it work.
>
> I like your comparison with prions: when over-engineered software
> become frequent, good software needs to become more complex in order to
> be able to interact with it.

Two more links, one from aeons ago (nearly a quarter-century) by
Raph Levien (of Ghostscript and many more fames), "he decommoditization
of protocols" [1] and a fairly recent one by Drew DeVault "The reckless,
infinite scope of web browsers" [2]. Finding commonalities and differences
is left as an exercise for the reader :-)

In some way, we've won. In some other, we've lost. We are in a similar
stuation to the Bad Old Times of "best viewed with Internet Explorer",
where one company controls the clients (Android, Chrome). But they
are "Open Source", somehow.

Cheers

[1] https://www.levien.com/free/decommoditizing.html
[2] https://drewdevault.com/2020/03/18/Reckless-limitless-scope.html