Re: how to keep 2 PCs partially in sync

On 2020-03-24 14:05, Patrick Scribus wrote:
Hello,

two of my computers have a similar role as desktop. The installed
packages are nearly the same, the configuration is nearly the same and
the stored data in /home also. Especially the texts, the pictures and
the like require too much time and effort to keep in sync. At first I
wrote a little script that uses the power of rsync. This is much better
than no script at all. But I hope for a solution that automates this
like in those talks from 10-15 years ago when they suggest to use coda.
I would love to use coda but it seems like nobody is maintaining it
since quite some time. What happened in the meantime? What do you guys
use for similar tasks?

My mail is on one laptop (Thunderbird).

I use Firefox and Firefox Sync wherever available.

I have an SSH/CVS server (FreeBSD jail) for working files, software development, system configuration files, and system administration notes.

I have a Samba server (FreeBSD jail) for bulk data -- downloads, music, pictures, videos, etc..

David