Re: how to keep 2 PCs partially in sync

Am 24. Mar, 2020 schwätzte Patrick Scribus so:

moin moin Patrick,

Hello,

two of my computers have a similar role as desktop. The installed
packages are nearly the same, the configuration is nearly the same and
the stored data in /home also. Especially the texts, the pictures and
the like require too much time and effort to keep in sync. At first I
wrote a little script that uses the power of rsync. This is much better
than no script at all. But I hope for a solution that automates this
like in those talks from 10-15 years ago when they suggest to use coda.
I would love to use coda but it seems like nobody is maintaining it
since quite some time. What happened in the meantime? What do you guys
use for similar tasks?

I use unison rather than rsync when I don't have to worry about hard links.

For keeping /etc in sync, I have written small scripts that export an
etckeeper repo to the replica machine to apply changes.

dpkg --get-selections and dpkg --set-selections can be use to keep package
parity.

If you want something like coda I used to use MooseFS, which apparently is
now LizardFS in the repo.

Lots of people are using ceph.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  Linux Fest Northwest cancelled, working to get presentations online