Re: NAS software for Raspberry Pi that supports full range of client OS (Win-10, MacOS-X, Linux) ?

On Tuesday 24 March 2020 09:45:49 deloptes wrote:

> Rick Thomas wrote:
> > The covid-19 situation is giving me lots of free time recently, so
> > I've ordered a Raspberry Pi 4 with delivery expected sometime this
> > week.
>
> Can you explain to me what type of storage you intend to setup on the
> pi4 - USB3 disks?
>
> Does someone has experience with USB3 disks - may be in raid1 on the
> Rpi4?
>
> I tried years ago with usb2 disks in raid1 and the results were
> miserable.
>
> regards

I am currently running 2 SSD's, a 120GB and a 240GB on usb-3 to sata
adaptors, working flawlessly on a pi4's usb-3 ports.

It took several experiments with adaptors to find good ones though. The
adaptor would die, but the ssd was fine once the adaptor was replaced
with a different brand.

I've disabled the installs default 10 meg swap file, and added a swap
partition on the 120GB set for 10GB, which its gets into by a bit less
that 100megs building a realtime kernel, or LinuxCNC, on a 2Gig rpi4,
basicly changes to reduce the write wear on the 64GB u-sd the pi boots
from. Logs are the majority of the write ops on the u-sd now.  And
useing 64G u-sd's seems to spread out that wear, I've had no trouble
with it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis