Re: NAS software for Raspberry Pi that supports full range of client OS (Win-10, MacOS-X, Linux) ?

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020, at 6:45 AM, deloptes wrote:
> Rick Thomas wrote:
> > The covid-19 situation is giving me lots of free time recently, so I've
> > ordered a Raspberry Pi 4 with delivery expected sometime this week.
> Can you explain to me what type of storage you intend to setup on the pi4 -
> USB3 disks?
> Does someone has experience with USB3 disks - may be in raid1 on the Rpi4?
> I tried years ago with usb2 disks in raid1 and the results were miserable.

I plan to use a 1TB 2.5-inch USB3 disk drive, powered via the USB cable from the Pi, as a first try.  If that's successful and the family needs more space for shared files, I plan to move to a USB3 multi-disk box with its own power supply.  I'll probably configure the box as a JBOD so I can use software RAID.

USB2 disks are, of course, slow by modern standards, but they do work -- as long as you don't overload the bandwidth.  Is that what you mean by "miserable".    USB3, on the other hand, is plenty fast enough for a NAS driving a 1Gbit LAN -- depending on the speed of the underlying disk drives, of course.

I've done this kind of configuration before.  If you have specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them...
Enjoy!
Rick