Re: Buster without systemd?

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 05:41:17AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2020 04:38:10 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 04:09:14PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > On Monday 23 March 2020 15:16:33 Joe wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > NONE!!!! Thats my Main objection to it [...]
> >
> > And this is why we can't have nice things.
> >
> > One basic rule of science and engineering should read "if you want
> > to criticise something, you better learn first how it works".
> >
> Which I've not found the docs that would teach me that yet. If such
> actually exist, where do I find the top of that man tree?

Come on, Gene. There's a lot of things (at least from my point
of view [0]) to criticize of systemd. Lack of documentation
isn't one. It comes with a very complete set of man pages [1].
Entering "systemd documentation" in your search engine of choice
yields as top results things like [2] or [3]. Start reading,
if that's your thirst.

Now you could argue that you haven't got the time to digest a
full new system if you already have one you feel comfy with;
this would be absolutely OK. But spreading half-truths (or
even lies) about that system you don't know (in this thread's
case: that systemd's binary log format is there to save disk
space) -- this is *not* OK.

> > Folks. This ain't twitter.
>
> No, its quite a bit more verbose.

And hopefully more thoughtful. Hopefully.

> Thanks for pulling my chain, Tomas, and makeing me discover that docs do
> indeed exist.

Here's n the hope of having made your life more interesting.
You make ours more interesting, too -- so it's giving back.

Cheers
[0] And no, no self-med. Henning: I'm still angry at you about
   that.
[1] I can't check, since I have no systemd installed. But have
   you tried "man -k systemd"?
[2] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/
[3] https://systemd.io/
-- tomás