Re: Buster without systemd?

On Tuesday 24 March 2020 04:38:10 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 04:09:14PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 23 March 2020 15:16:33 Joe wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > You might add 5a): Why?
> > >
> > > There's not exactly a burning need to compress text into
> > > illegibility to save disc space [...]
> >
> > NONE!!!! Thats my Main objection to it [...]
>
> And this is why we can't have nice things.
>
> One basic rule of science and engineering should read "if you want
> to criticise something, you better learn first how it works".

Which I've not found the docs that would teach me that yet. If such
actually exist, where do I find the top of that man tree?

> There are valid reasons for systemd's binary format. Space savings
> is very far off the top of the list (probably it isn't on that list
> at all).

Show me. Or show myself. Now I see there is actually such a manpage now.
It didn't exist the last time I looked which was probably 3+ years ago
after it came up at about jessie in my awareness. Its gonna take a while
to absorb all that, the manpage starts out a bit "abstract" and will
take a goodly number of re-reads to connect all the dots.  Lots of see
also's to absorb.  And having become aware of the manpages for that, I
withdraw my objections until such time as I do understand it.

> Folks. This ain't twitter.

No, its quite a bit more verbose.

Thanks for pulling my chain, Tomas, and makeing me discover that docs do
indeed exist.
> Cheers
> -- tomás

Cheers, Gene Heskett