Re: Debian 10 Installation Question

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 11:08:53 -0500
Jakub Kuzmicki <kuzbijc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently installed Debian 10 on my Dell XPS 15 7590. I was able to
> get
> > through majority of the installation up until the network mirroring
> > portion. I skipped that part since I wasn't able to find a
> > recognizable mirror to use. So now, when I turn on my computer and
> > boot Debian, I am sent to the terminal. I read somewhere that I can
> > set up the network mirror through this terminal.
>
> My question is, what can I do to fix this issue? Am I not able to boot
> Debian because network mirroring is not set up? I would probably need
> instructions on exactly what to type to get this done if thats the
> case.

No. The mirror is required in order to fully install the system if
using a netinstall medium, and later to upgrade it. It sounds as if
yours isn't fully installed. Once properly installed, it doesn't even
need a network connection to boot.

There are a number of reasons for boot to fail. Obviously one is if not
all the necessary software has been installed, but there are other
reasons. Has your recently installed system ever booted? It should have
done so at the end of the installation, having reminded you to remove
the installation disc/USB medium. If you never got to that point, then
the installation did not complete, and the way forward is to start the
installation again.

Don't worry much about choosing the mirror at the appropriate stage.
Any mirror will work (assuming you have unrestricted Internet access,
if you don't then you should probably not use the netinstall) it's just
that the geographically nearer mirrors are likely to respond a little
quicker. But a mirror on the other side of the planet should work.

If the system has booted at least once but does not now, that's a very
different scenario. What you need to do now is to post word-for-word the
messages you see when it dumps you to a terminal. In general, grub
has failed to find something it needs, perhaps part of the bootloader
code, perhaps a module, perhaps a complete filesystem. The error
messages will give *some* clues about this.

--
Joe