Re: emacs problem: M-x write-abbrev-file does not seem to work.

On Wed, 18 Mar 2020, Default User wrote:

Hey, been working on this emacs problem all day.

It would have taken me all day just to write up such a meticulous
account.

TLDR; I have never used the "abbrevs" functionality of emacs. So, (fair
warning) you will not find a direct answer to your question in what I
say below.

I'm running Unstable, up to date.
Cinnamon DE.
64-bit.

dummy@dummy:~$ sudo aptitude show emacs
[sudo] password for default:

Just FYI, it would greatly surprise me if you actually needed root
privileges for aptitude's "show" command. I wager you could get the
same information with

  dummy@dummy:~$ aptitude show emacs

and save yourself a password entry.

(I am wagering, not promising, because I use apt-get exclusively,
never aptitude.)

Package: emacs
Version: 1:26.3+1-1
[snip]

I'm trying to learn Emacs, using:
"Learning GNU Emacs".
Old, but it would still seem to be a reputable and authoritative source.

I am sympathetic to reading older, slightly out-of-date sources of
documentation. I frequently do it myself. So I know that it can be
informative (sometimes in unexpected ways), and I know that at times
it has downsides as well, can add an extra layer of confusion, etc.

That said, if I were you, and if I had not done so already, I would
enable the non-free component in your sources.list, and then install
the (non-free) package "emacs-common-non-dfsg":

| emacs-common-non-dfsg - GNU Emacs common non-DFSG items, including the core documentation
|  This package includes the core Emacs documentation: the Emacs Info
|  pages, the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual, and the Emacs Lisp Intro.
|  .
|  GNU Emacs is the extensible self-documenting text editor.  This
|  package contains the architecture independent infrastructure that
|  is not compliant with the Debian Free Software Guidelines.  In
|  particular, this includes some of the GNU Emacs info pages, as they
|  are covered under the GFDL, and specify invariant sections.  See
|  http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001 for more information.

This should give you the info pages version of the Emacs manual, which
contains a section on Abbrevs (under Advanced Features, I think).

Then, in emacs, do

 M-x info

This brings up a menu of info documentation properly installed on your
system. You'll want to traverse "Emacs" > "Abbrevs".

What little else I have to say would merely be bikeshedding or
poorly-informed speculation, so I'll stop here. Maybe I'll go read
about Abbrevs.

I hope this helps a little, while you're waiting for an emacs wizard
to show up.

Good luck with your project.

--
 The day will come              |  Last words, August Spies (1855--1887).
 When our silence will be       |  Hanged, by the U.S. state of Illinois,