Re: emacs problem: M-x write-abbrev-file does not seem to work.

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020, davidson wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2020, Default User wrote:
[snip]

dummy@dummy:~$ sudo aptitude show emacs
[sudo] password for default:

Just FYI, it would greatly surprise me if you actually needed root
privileges for aptitude's "show" command. I wager you could get the
same information with

 dummy@dummy:~$ aptitude show emacs

and save yourself a password entry.

(I am wagering, not promising, because I use apt-get exclusively,

*apt-get and apt-cache

never aptitude.)
[big snip]

Then, in emacs, do

M-x info

This brings up a menu of info documentation properly installed on your
system. You'll want to traverse "Emacs" > "Abbrevs".

I now see that GW Haywood has already pointed you to a version of the
same document, posted on the web:

  [🔎] alpine.DEB.2.21.2003191433310.9593@piplus.local.jubileegroup.co.uk">https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[🔎] alpine.DEB.2.21.2003191433310.9593@piplus.local.jubileegroup.co.uk

--
 The day will come              |  Last words, August Spies (1855--1887).
 When our silence will be       |  Hanged, by the U.S. state of Illinois,