Re: normalize audio in mp4s

Quoting Emanuel Berg (2020-03-11 17:15:08)
> Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
> > Try check if the audio stream of that movie is AC-3, and if
> > so then try use mpv with the option --ad-lavc-ac3drc (read
> > the man page for valid values).
>
> OK, I'll try this...
>
> > If you experience similarly expanded dynamic range also for
> > differently encoded audio sources then more likely there's
> > a problem in how your system downmixes multi-channel audio
> > (like deloptes is getting at).
>
> I experience this all the time, before "Ford v Ferrari" it was
> "Battle Angle Alita" which is an mp4, not mkv, file.

Container format is not relevant (for this, it is for sync issues).

Try check if your copy of Battle Angle Alita was AC-3 encoded too.

> I have a command to output multimedia properties,

I recommend mediainfo for that.

> $ movie-meta baa-2019.mp4 | grep -i codec
> ID_VIDEO_CODEC=ffh264
> ID_AUDIO_CODEC=ffaac

Ah, so not AC-3 but AAC.

> > NB! Consider switching to mpv in general, it is a successor to
> > mplayer with many improvements.
>
> I did and it seems better in general, but its the same with
> this particular issue.

Right I did not expect it to magically solve this issue specifically.

 - Jonas