Re: normalize audio in mp4s

Quoting Emanuel Berg (2020-03-10 09:54:07)
> deloptes wrote:
>
> > but my question here is - why the subject with mp4s - do only
> > they suffer this problem or it is just a case among others?
>
> It is probably a case among others, at least when I wrote it the
> intention was to raise this issue in general.
>
> Today I saw "Ford v Ferrari" from last year, an .mkv file.
> When they were talking, it was impossible or very difficult to
> make out more than occasional words. When they drove their cars,
> I had to adjust the volume as it was just rumbling out of
> the speakers.

Perhaps the issue is specific to AC-3 decoded audio?

Try check if the audio stream of that movie is AC-3, and if so then try
use mpv with the option --ad-lavc-ac3drc (read the man page for valid
values).

If you experience similarly expanded dynamic range also for differently
encoded audio sources then more likely there's a problem in how your
system downmixes multi-channel audio (like deloptes is getting at).

NB! Consider switching to mpv in general, it is a successor to mplayer
with many improvements.

 - Jonas