Re: OT Filing for free vs Free File, was Re: Simple software for a scanner … LIDE 700F)

On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 05:12:43 AM Curt wrote:
> At any rate, the H & R Blocks et. al. obviously have a vested,
> mercantile interest in keeping the entire process bewilderingly
> complicated, as well as exclusively within the domain of the private
> sector.

In the US, the rich in general have a vested interest in, well, not precisely
"keeping the entire process bewilderingly complicated", but keeping lots of
loopholes and such that they can take advantage of to reduce their taxes.

(That is not to say software could not be developed to navigate most of those
loopholes to accomplish the same reduction in taxes -- well, except to the
extent that, like in the area of many US laws, I think there are
contradictions in the rules and regulations, and savvy accountants and such
pick and choose the ones of those that best serve their clients.)

(I am not positive there are such contradictions, but I do know, to a great
extent, we don't (or we didn't use to) take old laws off the books -- I know
that from my experiences on the order of 20 to 50 years ago -- nowadays I
often see law proposals written as revisions to existing laws which may have
solved (or partially solved) that problem.)

(Oh, by the way, those experiences 50 years ago were pre-natal, I (try to)
tell / convince all the women I meet that I am only 29 ;-)