Re: normalize audio in mp4s

On Mon 09 Mar 2020 at 12:26:53 (+0100), Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> So if high-quality normalization is not important (and you don't want to
> try play with stripping my script), then directly use ffmpeg, or use any
> other of the many many many ffmpeg-based tools available.
>
> ...or use sox (but still use ffmpeg to extract audio part of mp4 files).

I shall take a look at your script. But, thinking about the
problem overall, I think there might be several reasons why
I haven't personally felt the need for video companding:

. I only consume videos, usually once, and don't produce any
  for distribution,

. Some companding/editing/mixing is already done during
  video production,

. Remotes are virtually ubiquitous, thank goodness,

. I don't knit (IOW when I'm watching TV, my hands are typically
  free, or have the Roku remote in one, TV in the other),

. Many of the objectionable changes in volume (think adverts)
  can only be tackled easily at the TV (some of which try to
  normalise volume) or at the remote.

That's not to criticise these useful posts.

Cheers,
David.