Re: OT Filing for free vs Free File, was Re: Simple software for a scanner … LIDE 700F)

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 10:12:59 -0400
Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 09:02:02AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > One hopes that you've distinguished between 'filing for "free"' and
> > the actual IRS Free File Program.
> >
> > https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/about-the-free-file-program
>
>   Use Free File Software if your income is $69,000 or less and Free File
>   Fillable Forms if your income is greater than $69,000.
>
>   [...]
>
>   File Fillable Forms is a FREE forms-based tool enabling you to select your
>   income tax forms, enter your tax information, print and e-file your federal
>   tax return. If you’re not comfortable completing a paper return by hand,
>   without software to guide you, you should consider another method of filing
>   your tax return.
>
> This is why we can't have nice things.

For years I used TaxAct (www.taxact.com) software, the free version for
federal taxes.  You could file online, but I never did.  Printed a hard
copy and mailed it in.  Why make it easy for the IRS?

In all the years I used TaxAct, I never had the IRS complain or audit
me.  FWIW, I was self-employed, owned a home, had rental property,
etc.  So, my return was quite involved.