Re: OT Filing for free vs Free File, was Re: Simple software for a scanner … LIDE 700F)

On Monday, March 09, 2020 10:02:02 AM David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 06 Mar 2020 at 12:17:23 (-0500), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> > Background: I'm trying to do taxes for a few of my friends using H&R

> > Block's free online software (they qualify, as all their income is due

> > to wages).

> One hopes that you've distinguished between 'filing for "free"' and

> the actual IRS Free File Program.

> https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/about-the-free-file-program

I'm not sure what you're getting at -- according to the page you cited, there is no IRS Free File Program other than those provided by the partners in the Free File Alliance which includes H&R Block and Turbo Tax.

From that page:

<quote>

Use Free File Software if your income is $69,000 or less and Free File Fillable Forms if your income is greater than $69,000.

IRS Free File is a partnership between the IRS and the Free File Alliance, a group of industry-leading private-sector tax preparation companies that have agreed to provide free commercial online tax preparation and electronic filing. Read more about our partnership.

We do not endorse any individual Free File Alliance company or retain any taxpayer information entered on the Free File site.

</quote>

I did take note of the Fillable Forms, and that might be the better option even if my friends don't make $69,000 per year --scanning the W2s in is becoming an aggravation, and entering the data manually (at least in the H&R Block program is even more of an aggravation as they insist on you entering all the information on the W2s (things like the address of the employer and employee), presumably with the intention of being able to send a "facsimile" of the W2 electronically -- I haven't found an option to avoid that.