Re: question related to #953223

On 2020-03-07, Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

>> I was under the (perhaps wrong?) impression that "remove" leaves the
>> conffiles alone and "purge" removes them.
>
> Your understanding is correct, at least according to the manual:
>
>        remove
>            remove is identical to install except that packages are
>            removed instead of installed. Note that removing a package
>            leaves its configuration files on the system.
>
>        purge
>            purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed
>            and purged (any configuration files are deleted too).

 If a package that is in state Config Files has to be purged, the cycle
 is really simple: the conffiles are deleted and *then* (emphasis mine)
 postrm purge is called.

https://wiki.debian.org/MaintainerScripts

The policy violation and bug #953223 consists of the postrm script
purging the conffiles, whereas that task falls within dpkg's domain. How
exactly Monsieur Bigonville arrived at this discovery I can't quite
grasp (if I'm not misunderstanding the whole thing and making a fool out
of myself again).

Maybe the bug reporter had both fuse and fuse3 installed simultaneously,
at which point he purged one or the other. Both packages provide an
/etc/fuse.conf file.

--
Nous fîmes l'amour longtemps, à la façon des craquements qui se produisent dans
les meubles. Nous fîmes l'amour comme le soleil bat, comme les cercueils