Re: Simple software for a scanner with ability to crop (CanoScan LIDE 700F)

On Fri, Mar 06, 2020 at 12:51:04PM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, March 06, 2020 12:29:56 PM Brian wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 06, 2020 at 12:17:23PM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Is there a simple program to use a scanner (CanoScan LIDE 700F) on any of
> > > Wheezy, Jessie, or Buster?  It needs to have the ability to crop an
> > > image.
> >
> > xsane or simple-scan.
> >
> > > I dread the idea of trying to set it up in CUPS, in fact, iirc, last time
> > > I tried it in CUPS (which was quite a while ago (5 years? longer?)), I
> > > could not find a driver (either there was no driver, or maybe there was
> > > a "maybe" driver (a driver that might work for several different
> > > scanners, but did not work for me -- that was probably under Wheezy)).
> > > (If CUPS is the only possibility, I probably won't even try, partly
> > > because I'm in something of a hurry.)
> >
> > CUPS hasn't anything to do with scanning.
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> Yes, you're right (of course).  It must have been SANE that I tried all those
> years ago.  Someone else suggested SANE + XSANE and suggested a page where I
> could check for a driver (h-node) (or compatibility):
>
> https://h-node.org/scanners/catalogue/en/1/1/Canon-
> Inc./undef/undef/undef/compatibility/undef
>
> I checked / searched there -- no listing for the CanoScan LIDE 700F or
> anything close to it (I tried a variety of search terms).  (A few CanoScans,
> but nothing that looked close to the LIDE 700F (based on model numbers).)

According to this [1] man page, the sane-genesys backend supports your
model. No first-hand experience, though...

> I'll look into simple-scan.

Simple-scan is also based on libsane (as Xsane is). It also depends
on all those "desktop goodies" as dbus-session, xdg-utils, gsettings
and friends, which you might like -- or not. So it may be called
"simple" but Xsane is definitely simpler -- although most definitely
not as shiny.

Cheers
[1] http://sane-project.org/man/sane-genesys.5.html

-- t