Re: Buster 10.2 hangs while booting

k. jantzen composed on 2020-03-02 16:19 (UTC+0100):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Are you sure a login prompt didn't sneak in out of expected order? That has
>> happened fairly routinely here. I Alt-F2 or Alt-F3 at that point to find a login
>> prompt.

>> On a recovery mode boot immediately subsequent to a normal boot attempt I would try
>> 	journalctl -b -1

>> to search for clues.

> Thank very much for the quick reply.

> With Alt-F2/F3 I found a login prompt in tty2 and tty3!!

> How do I get rid of these logins?

They are tools you need not use if you do not wish to. What you probably really
want is to find out how to get your X environment working normally. That is one of
the things these tools can be, and typically needs be, used for, after enabling
persistent journal....

> With a 'journalctl -b -1' I got
> "Specifying boot id of boot offset has no effect, no persistent journal
> was found"

You can turn on persistent journal various ways. The simplest IMO is to create the
directory /var/log/journal, then reboot.
https://manpages.debian.org/buster/systemd/systemd-journald.service.8.en.html

In addition to journal examination, /var/log/Xorg.0.log from an attempt at a
normal boot should be done. This may require Xorg.0.log.old from the subsequent
rescue boot if that boot went so wrong that it could not be accessed.

Pastebinit can be used to share Xorg.0.log, and/or the journal if it is first
saved to disk by redirecting journalctl output to a text file.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/