Re: The nightmare of Intel Integrated GPUs under Linux in general and Debian in particular

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 23:15:43 +0100
"Miguel A. Vallejo" <ea4eoz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting.... very interesting.
>
> > (On what GPU?)
>
> The same as yours:
>
> VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
>
> in a I5-6500 CPU.
>
> > For whatever it's worth, I do *not* see any problems like this.  Not
> > even close.  Intel integrated graphics of this generation have been
> > rock solid for me on Debian 10, with non-free firmware + microcode.
>
> You are lucky. Very lucky. For the last 5 years this have been a
> constant pain, one problem after problem. When a problem got fixed by
> a new kernel a new problem appeared, for every single kernel version I
> tested. It even affected my ability to get the work done: yesterday I
> had 3 complete system freezes in less than an hour. But I use KDE, I
> use 3D acceleration, and I use programs who uses 3D acceleration so I
> constantly hit these kind of bugs.

My laptop has an Intel HD Graphics 5500 (rev 09). I have been using it
for years with few if any problems. I don't consciously do much in the
way of 3D acceleration (although I do use Firefox heavily).

The included Nvidia GM108GLM [Quadro K620M / Quadro M500M]
(rev a2) GPU (in an Optimus configuration alongside the Intel GPU), on
the other hand, has given me a great deal of trouble to get working
effectively.

Celejar