Re: set gnome locales to C.UTF-8

On 2/28/2020 3:34 PM, Ted Baker wrote:

>> You should use 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'.
>>

>  I actually tried `sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales`, but C.UTF-8 is not even

$ DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text dpkg-reconfigure locales
Configuring locales
-------------------

Locales are a framework to switch between multiple languages and allow
users to
use their language, country, characters, collation order, etc.

Please choose which locales to generate. UTF-8 locales should be chosen by
default, particularly for new installations. Other character sets may be
useful
for backwards compatibility with older systems and software.

  1. All locales                      249. gl_ES ISO-8859-1
  2. aa_DJ ISO-8859-1                 250. gl_ES.UTF-8 UTF-8
  3. aa_DJ.UTF-8 UTF-8                251. gl_ES@euro ISO-8859-15
  248. gez_ET@abegede UTF-8           496. zu_ZA.UTF-8 UTF-8

(Enter the items you want to select, separated by spaces.)

Locales to be generated: 2

Many packages in Debian use locales to display text in the correct
language for
the user. You can choose a default locale for the system from the generated
locales.

This will select the default language for the entire system. If this
system is a
multi-user system where not all users are able to speak the default
language,
they will experience difficulties.

  1. None  2. C.UTF-8  3. aa_DJ

Default locale for the system environment:

In other words, one language needs to be selected in order to be able to
choose 'none' (use none if you access the host through SSH) or 'C.UTF-8.

> on the list, so I can only remove en_US.UTF-8 there. Then I did `sudo
> update-locale LANG=C.UTF-8`. As far as I know, these steps basically
> modifies /etc/locale.gen, runs locale-gen, and modifies /etc/default/locale.

See, (1).

1)  https://wiki.debian.org/Locale

P.S.

The frontend can be ommited.