Re: System unusably slow after Debian upgrade.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 02:34:19PM +0000, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2020, Dan Ritter wrote:
>
> > Go to /etc/nsswitch.conf
> >
> > If these lines look like this
> >
> > passwd:         compat systemd
> > group:          compat systemd
> > shadow:         compat systemd
> >
> > remove the systemd references.
> >
> > If performance improves immensely immediately after the edit,
> > that was the problem.
>
> I'm no lover of systemd, but as with the graphics drivers it's hard to
> imagine how the Name Service Switch could affect the time taken to
> gzip a file.  Nevertheless I gave it a shot.  The 'passwd' and 'group'
> entries were as you described but the 'shadow' entry was not.  I've
> removed the two 'systemd' refrences, and at least remotely from the
> command line it doesn't look like it's helped - see the timings below,

I'd never heard of this particular "issue" either.  My buster
workstation has no performance problems, and my nsswitch.conf
looks like this (minus the comments):

passwd:         compat systemd
group:          compat systemd
shadow:         compat
gshadow:        files

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

Are there any error messages *anywhere* that could point to the source
of the problem?  Obvious places to look would be dmesg, journalctl,
and whichever file(s) in /var/log/ are most recently modified.

It would also be good to look after the basics, like running "uptime"
to check the load average, "top" to see if there are processes running
amok, "df" to see if a file system is unexpectedly full, and so on.