Re: Modern automounters and umount

On 2/25/20 3:43 AM, Curt wrote:
On 2020-02-25, Mark Allums <mark@allums.email> wrote:

george@martha:~$ systemctl stop gvfs-daemon
Failed to stop gvfs-daemon.service: Unit gvfs-daemon.service not loaded.

You cannot stop what does not exist.

I think the systemd unit involved is
run-user-1000-gvfs.mount

Try 'systemctl status run-user-1000-gvfs.mount'
and see.

george@martha:~$ systemctl status run-user-1000-gvfs.mount
Unit run-user-1000-gvfs.mount could not be found.

george@martha:~$ gvfsd-fuse
bash: gvfsd-fuse: command not found

This thing isn't in your path, which has been explained.

  /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-fuse

george@martha:~$ man gvfs-fuse
No manual entry for gvfs-fuse

It's called 'gvfsd-fuse'.
GVFSD-FUSE(1) User Commands GVFSD-FUSE(1)

NAME
       gvfsd-fuse - Fuse daemon for gvfs

SYNOPSIS
       gvfsd-fuse PATH

DESCRIPTION
       gvfsd-fuse maintains a fuse mount to make gvfs backends available to
POSIX applications. The mount point for the fuse filesystem is provided
       by the [PATH] argument.

       gvfsd-fuse is normally started by gvfsd(1). In this case, the mount
       point is $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/gvfs or $HOME/.gvfs.

OPTIONS
       -d
           Enable fuse debug output. This implies -f.

       -f
           Run in the foreground.

       -s
           Run single-threaded.

       -o OPTION
Set a fuse-specific option. See the fuse documentation for a list
           of these.

EXIT STATUS
       On success 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise.

SEE ALSO
       gvfs(7)

gvfs GVFSD-FUSE(1)

Please advise as to the best way to set an environment variable on
startup before gvfs, et al load.

A tricky exercise which can depend on your DE (and maybe even your
graphical login manager). What have you tried so far?

The things I tried are naive. I don't know, or have forgotten, where to put commands that run that early in the process. I run the latest MATE out of Bullseye, 1.24.x-y. There is a partial installation (a "minimal") Gnome 3 installed, and various Gnome-related programs. XCFE is installed, for emergencies. (I am a bad typist, and am rather dependent on GUIs.) I load MATE by default at startup.

/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd --no-fuse
Failed to acquire daemon name, perhaps the VFS daemon is already running?