Re: Modern automounters and umount

On 2020-02-23, Mark Allums <mark@allums.email> wrote:

>>> Explain this, then:
>>>
>>> george@martha:~$ udisksctl unmount -b /dev/sdb1
>>> Unmounted /dev/sdb1.
>>> george@martha:~$ sudo e2fsck -c -c -k -p -f -C 0 /dev/sdb1
>>> /dev/sdb1 is in use.
>>> e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
>>
>> Wasn't it gvfsd the last time?
>
> I never understood the actual procedure for unmounting when gvfsd was
> doing it;s thing, nor how to prevent the whole mess in the first place
> (short of doing without gvfsd, et al).

Well, at any rate, I can only believe your deal here (*completely*
unrelated to the tool 'undisksctl', BTW, contrary to what some have
insinuated) is the exact same deal as the one exposed in the thread you
initiated about a year ago

whose upshot appeared to be

 root@martha:~# lsof /dev/sdb
 lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system
 /run/user/1001/gvfs
       Output information may be incomplete.

and in which David Wright advised:

 The man page suggests that running   gvfsd --no-fuse   or setting a
 value to   GVFS_DISABLE_FUSE   will stop it running.

 How to set an environment variable in a DE is left as an exercise for
 the reader.

--
"J'ai pour me guérir du jugement des autres toute la distance qui me sépare de
moi." Antonin Artaud