Re: Local search broken for documentation of numpy, matplotlib

[ replying via mailinglist, assuming private reply was accidental ]

Quoting Raj Kiran Grandhi (2020-02-24 15:33:26)
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 1:02 PM Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk>
> wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like a bug, probably in one of the packages suggested by
> > doc-base:
> >
> > $ apt-cache show doc-base | grep ^Suggests Suggests: dhelp | dwww | doc-central | yelp | khelpcenter, rarian-compat
> >
> > Please, besides looking for ways to work around this issue, report
> > it as a bug: https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
> >

> When trying to file a bug report for python-matplotlib-doc, reportbug
> suggested installing the latest version from sid. Installing the sid
> version of the python-matplotlib-doc has fixed the search problem.
> Same for python-numpy-doc and python-scipy-doc. I have not continued
> with filing the bug report as the bugs seem to have been fixed. Do you
> think I should file it anyway?
>
> The only minor quirk is that the versions of the *-doc packages don't
> match with the actual library version. I can live with that :-)

I suggest to check the changelogs (upstream and Debian-specific,
whichever applies to the delta between the version you had before and
the version you now installed from sid) to see if the issue is
_knowingly_ fixed - becaue if not then it might reappear later.  In
other words, I recommend filing as a bug if it seems the issue was
solved without anyone noticing it.

Worst thing I can imagine happening if you file a bugreport is that you
receice an angry email saying something like "you idiot, you have wasted
2 minutes of my life writing this bug-closing email because I don't care
as much about this code as you do and therefore want it to _look_ well
maintained and users obviously cannot possibly know better than me what
that means" - which you can then simply ignore: You did you best!

Kind regards,

 - Jonas