Re: *nix

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 10:39:29AM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> In Debian I think that xv fell by the wayside between woody and sarge.
> It seemed to get stuck at 3.10a. IIRC it was always in non-free
> because of its licence, so I can only check via my   dpkg -l
> listings. So I haven't used it for 15 years, moving on to xzgv.
> xv is really an editor, isn't it?

It was a pretty ubiquitous image display/modification tool in
previous decades.  So much so, that I still use it today -- of course,
not from an official Debian package, as those stopped being produced
ages ago.  But it's still possible to compile it, with a bit of extra
flaming-hoop-jumping.

wooledg:~$ dpkg -s xv | grep Depends
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14), libjpeg62-turbo (>= 1.3.1), libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4), libtiff5 (>= 4.0.3), libx11-6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)

The flaming-est hoop here is the PNG library, because someone decided
that the PNG library should completely break compatibility, not just at
the ABI level, but at the API level, a few years ago.

You can get libpng12* packages from older Debian releases.  Some assembly
required.