Re: *nix

On Tue 18 Feb 2020 at 03:48:49 (+0100), 007@caiway.net wrote:

> > I also tend to use programs that allow me to use the keyboard.
> > mplayer - and its successor, mpv - work great with the keyboard.
> > xv works great for displaying GIFs and JPEGs.  (At least older
> > ones - some newer JPEGs contain codes that xv can't handle.  At
> > that point I reluctantly fall back to ristretto.  No doubt there
> > are programs that would suit my needs better, but I haven't been
> > willing to take the time to find them.)
>
> You might like gpicview.

I don't see how gpicview is a keyboard-friendly program. For example,
I can't even see a way of navigating round a large image with the
cursor keys. The only way I found of stepping through a number of
files is to use the OpenFile dialog box as a thumbnail viewer.
What have I missed? (There seems to be almost no documentation.)

Despite its limitations (eg no movies, and zooming is crude), I find
xzgv a most satisfactory keyboard-friendly viewer.

Cheers,
David.