Re: need syntax for /etc/fstab to mount space on an ssd over /tmp

On Monday 17 February 2020 05:00:14 Klaus Singvogel wrote:

> elvis wrote:
> > On 17/2/20 3:10 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Greetings all;
> > >
> > > I am trying to remove as much write activity as possible from the
> > > u-sd that a raspi boots from.  To that end I'll create a partition
> > > on an ssd, of 5000 megs, then copy the existing /tmp's contents to
> > > it it, then mount the ssd partition of that name on top of it
> > > where it is in the u-sd now. A partition labeled tmp-u-sd-temp
> > > would be about the least mistake prone to put in /etc/fstab. I did
> > > this once at least a decade or more ago because I outgrew the
> > > /home/partition but can't in 2020 remember the fstab syntax a
> > > decade+ later.
> > >
> > > Can someone help
> >
> > This is not the asked solution to the problem, but why not just have
> > your root on nfs? No need to worry about any writes to the card
> > then.
>
> I, for myself, have the problem, that can't catch him.
>
> He is speaking about a u-sd, but I'm only familiar with: ssd or usb.
> Both sound similar, are different to handle, and at the end it's
> something completly different he want's to know.

The u-sd is the usual abbreviation for the teeny little 64G micro-sd card
the pi boots from.  With 64G to play in its going to last a lot longer
before it fails than an 8G card, and removeing temporary writes to /tmp
by transferring them to a SSD plugged into a usb3 port, it should last
at least until the rapture. Or until my pacemaker needs replaced in
another 9 years because the battery is failing.  Since I'm now 85, that
would make me 94 yo then.

Does this clarify it for you? :)

> Best regards,
> 	Klaus.