Re: Do one thing. Do it right.

On Fri 14 Feb 2020 at 14:33:54 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 14 February 2020 10:29:26 David Wright wrote:

> > [… snipped all the stuff about TV control rooms …]

> > Sorry, I didn't realise that when you were talking about a Personal
> > Digital Assistant you meant a plastic finger.

> > Is this why virtually every electronic device nowadays has some form
> > of connectivity, either phone, wifi or BT.
> Only because it won't even be picked up and considered for purchase if it
> has a power or connectivity cord supplied with it.

I agree, and that's what's causing the OP consternation. The Noughties
are long gone. My MP3 player is obsolete. So are most of the components
in the computers I run, all of which are either obsolete or obsolescent.
The OP might be better off buying old stuff from ebay.

[…]

> > > We old fogies need to teach these youngsters.
> >
> > Laugh all you like, but that doesn't sell devices that still
> > require wired connections to be able to use them.
> >
> > I think the subject line of this thread is confusing software tools
> > and hardware. People are no longer happy to walk round with their
> > pockets (if they have them) filled with a phone, a camera, a diary,
> > a memo pad, a photo album, an MP3 player, a dictaphone, a calculator,
> > a transistor radio, a street map, a paperback, a pocket chess set,
> > not forgetting a newspaper tucked under their arm.
>
> This is also true which is why these thing are all crammed to the last
> byte of their roms with functionality that as a retired old fart don't
> need. I think its my business where I buy my grocery's, don't you?
>
> Carrying that fawncy cellphone guarantees you will be tracked, including
> that stop on a quiet road to water a thirsty weed. So I buy annual time
> on a dumb track phone when I'm out of pocket  I've done w/o that crap
> for 85 years and I don't intend to give up my privacy without first
> exchanging some lead. But in the event of an accident or mechanical
> failure, I can call for help.

Surely any cellphone can/must be tracked if you're able to receive
calls, otherwise they wouldn't know from which tower to transmit to you.
What I don't know is whether they bother (from a technical standpoint
rather than espionage) to track a SIM-less phone. Making contact in
that case could be left until you actually try to place a call. I've
forgotten which electronic items I used to hear the interference on.

Cheers,
David.