Re: Do one thing. Do it right.

On 02/14/2020 07:35 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 14 February 2020 07:50:01 Richard Owlett wrote:

Youngsters have two foibles:
    More is always better.
    Glitz for its own sake.
<smile ;>
For perspective:
    1. although only in mid-70's, my parents would be in their 12th
       decade.
    2. my father took a M.E. degree rather than E.E. as it gave him
       more of what today would be considered a minimal BSEE degree.
    3. my first computers ran on 1 MHz 6502's. 2nd even had 8k ram.

Whereas my first was a cosmac super elf. With 256 bytes of ram.
Eventually expanded to 4k of static ram for $400 plus an s-100
backplane. By then I had an interface to Sony 2850 u-matic machines, and
a vision of doing a production job with it at the tv station where I was
the A.C.E. at the time. For all I know its still being used, that was
1980 and the last time I checked, in '97, it was still used many times a
day. In a tv station control room that eons.  And in writing that system
to make it all fit in 4k of ram, I did something that today would be
highly frowned upon, because so much if it was repetitious, I made
liberal use of self-modifying code, so the last thing I did was to
restore all the locations I had modified to their default values. Solid
as a rock, I was at that station for another year, and had added an old
burglar alarm battery, a 6 volt pb right across the 5 volt line as a
backup, and while I had borrowed forever an audio cart machine and made
several tape backups, and we had the usually undependable CA power, I
never had to reload it.

Do one job, do it right. I needed a clock for frame code, so I wrote one,
more accurate that either std frame or drop frame.