Re: Do one thing. Do it right.

On Fri 14 Feb 2020 at 08:55:41 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 02/14/2020 07:35 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 14 February 2020 07:50:01 Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > > Youngsters have two foibles:
> > >     More is always better.
> > >     Glitz for its own sake.
> > > <smile ;>
> > > For perspective:
> > >     1. although only in mid-70's, my parents would be in their 12th
> > >        decade.
> > >     2. my father took a M.E. degree rather than E.E. as it gave him
> > >        more of what today would be considered a minimal BSEE degree.
> > >     3. my first computers ran on 1 MHz 6502's. 2nd even had 8k ram.
> >
> > Whereas my first was a
[… snipped all the stuff about TV control rooms …]

> > Do one job, do it right. I needed a clock for frame code, so I wrote one,
> > more accurate that either std frame or drop frame.
> >
> > > On 02/13/2020 09:17 PM, David Wright wrote in another thread:
> > > [ https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2020/02/msg00611.html ]

> > > *NO*! It's only required that engineering appeal to market.
> > > E.G. In the last year there have been multiple amazing prosthetics for
> > > children and small animals in the news. They were possible due to
> > > advances in 3D printing.
> >
> > Agreed.

Sorry, I didn't realise that when you were talking about a Personal
Digital Assistant you meant a plastic finger.

> > > No! The inclusion of cell modem and WiFi would drive per unit cost of
> > > FCC approval through the roof.
> >
> > Agreed again. Folks have zero clue about the complexity of dealing with
> > the regulatory agencies.

Is this why virtually every electronic device nowadays has some form
of connectivity, either phone, wifi or BT.

> Been there, done it. Back in the 70's [as a SR Eng tech] I was
> involved in the measurement of RF radiated to free space and conducted
> to the power line for PDP11's.

> > > If not there then *NO* need to turn off. ROFL
> >
> > Chuckle.
>
> We old fogies need to teach these youngsters.

Laugh all you like, but that doesn't sell devices that still
require wired connections to be able to use them.

I think the subject line of this thread is confusing software tools
and hardware. People are no longer happy to walk round with their
pockets (if they have them) filled with a phone, a camera, a diary,
a memo pad, a photo album, an MP3 player, a dictaphone, a calculator,
a transistor radio, a street map, a paperback, a pocket chess set,
not forgetting a newspaper tucked under their arm.

Cheers,
David.