Re: The nightmare of Intel Integrated GPUs under Linux in general and Debian in particular

I have a Lenovo Z570 Ideapad with GMA3000 graphics (Sandy Bridge). I
had gone through all the tricks - /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d,
etc/default/grub, grub command line, firmware-nonfree, Ubuntu graphics
PPA. Had it mostly OK, usable. Since I was using testing, did apt
update apt upgrade. Lost all 7 virtual terminals. Since I have /home
on a separate partition, I nuked and paved /dev/sda2 and left /home
alone. Fixed. Almost perfect. No moving / blinking text in the
terminal or in Thunderbird, package scrolling works fine in Synaptic,
Firefox doesn't crash when you clear out the address bar, old Motif
"card games" (Aisleriot, xpat2, Penguin Solitaire, etc working with no
glitches. Only 1 small white stripe when flipping to another virtual
desktop (running Compiz with the cube) which disappeared when I
returned to the vd. Back when I worked in the TV repair shop that was
sometimes referred to as an FM repair. The M stands for Magic. Anyhow,
so far, 2 days without a reboot and just about no glitches. Hope it
keeps up.
Jim Daldry