Re: buster: low audio level

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 12:28:17PM -0700, D. R. Evans wrote:
No, I said it was new to me. It worked fine under Windows --
basically a gaming machine -- but now it has brand new disks with a
clean install of buster.

I suggest you purchase a USB audio interface (look for one of the
"plug-and-play" variety, so that drivers are not an issue):

= They are inexpensive ($50 to $150).

= They "just work".

= Most provide studio-grade (balanced, XLR or 1/4"TRS, hum-free)
outputs, as well as consumer-grade (unbalanced 3.5 mm + RCA) outputs.

= Some provide a studio-grade balanced microphone preamplifier, which
is useful for podcasting and video conferencing.

= You avoid frustration and loss of time fooling around with whatever
arcane internal sound scheme is built into the motherboard.

= When the computer goes belly-up, plug the same USB interface into
the machine which replaces it.

= With balanced outputs, you can run any reasonable length of cable
(on the order of a thousand feet) to route sound to a mixer or powered
speakers (with balanced inputs).

P.S.  The little Lexicon ALPHA, which is powered from the USB line, is
excellent.

RLH