Re: buster: low audio level

On 2/12/20 1:05 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:
Jonas Smedegaard wrote on 2/12/20 10:43 AM:
Quoting D. R. Evans (2020-02-12 18:34:27)
I just installed buster on a new (to me) machine, and the audio level
is very low. With all the mixer controls and the physical volume
control on the speakers turned up, I can hear audio, but even then it
is unpleasantly quiet, certainly nothing one would want to listen to.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this, or even how to go about
investigating it sensibly, would be gratefully received.

Maybe you missed some mixer controls?  Desktop environments nowadays
commonly use (not only ALSA but also) Pulseaudio, and a common mistake
is to only play with the knobs tied to ALSA.

One relatively userfriendly interface to Pulseaudio that I know of is
pavucontrol, available in the Debian package of the same name.  You can
run it as a self-contained graphical tool, or if you want it handy
accesible then additionally install pasystray.

OK; I installed that, but it doesn't seem to do anything more than the desktop
mixer program.

It says that Analog Stereo Output is 100%, as does the mixer program. Moving
that slider does make the volume even lower, so it is having an effect, but
only to make the audio even harder to hear.

  Doc

You say this is a new machine, so it surely came with Windows. If you still have Windows, try whatever program Windows has for audio and see if it works right. Maybe the machine is defective.
--doug