Re: buster: low audio level

Quoting D. R. Evans (2020-02-12 18:34:27)
> I just installed buster on a new (to me) machine, and the audio level
> is very low. With all the mixer controls and the physical volume
> control on the speakers turned up, I can hear audio, but even then it
> is unpleasantly quiet, certainly nothing one would want to listen to.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to fix this, or even how to go about
> investigating it sensibly, would be gratefully received.

Maybe you missed some mixer controls?  Desktop environments nowadays
commonly use (not only ALSA but also) Pulseaudio, and a common mistake
is to only play with the knobs tied to ALSA.

One relatively userfriendly interface to Pulseaudio that I know of is
pavucontrol, available in the Debian package of the same name.  You can
run it as a self-contained graphical tool, or if you want it handy
accesible then additionally install pasystray.

 - Jonas