Re: Hardware for Debian

Malcolm Beeson-Earwicker composed on 2020-02-12 :26 (UTC+0100):

> I've been a Debian user for about twenty years now, and have found that
> I have to run more and more of my machines under windo$e because the
> latest versions of Debian just fail,

Fail at what point?

> I imagine due to all this
> UEFI-rubbish. Does anyone know of a motherboard that will run Debian
> please?

All that should be necessary is: 1: ensuring the components comprising the
motherboard you buy were originally released before the distro release, unless
running sid, or maybe testing; and 2: updating the BIOS when applicable. I can't
remember ever encountering any distro failing when these tests are met. Generally
you're safe somewhere in the 6 months to year old range.

UEFI "rubbish" can actually be helpful, especially if multibooting.

> I have one new machine just about working under buster, but it's twin
> has had to go to W7 when I installed two GPUs.

That's probably just an isolated misfortune. Possibly the BIOS on the bad one is a
defective older version.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/