Re: Hardware for Debian

On Wednesday 12 February 2020 06:26:17 Malcolm Beeson-Earwicker wrote:

> I've been a Debian user for about twenty years now, and have found
> that I have to run more and more of my machines under windo$e because
> the latest versions of Debian just fail, I imagine due to all this
> UEFI-rubbish. Does anyone know of a motherboard that will run Debian
> please?
>
> I have one new machine just about working under buster, but it's twin
> has had to go to W7 when I installed two GPUs. I have two old lap-tops
> running jessie and they're just fine, slow but solid.
>
> yours sincerely
>
> Malcolm Beeson-Earwicker

i had a fire at a usb header in Oct of last year on my 13 yo Asus, so I
rebuilt using a new asus x-370, with an 9nth gen 6 core i5 filled up
with 32Gigs of dram.  Putting the stretch based hd that was running the
old phenom board in it with the rest of the drives from the old build,
it booted right up in the middle of last November after I had collected
all the stuff and is still running. UEFI is in the bios, but I didn't
have to turn it off, it was by off default.

The i5 probably runs on 1/10 of the old phenom power as it was a 165 watt
cpu.  I run gkrellm on the right edge of my screen, and the highest temp
it shows is 30C from something on the main board, all 6 cores are
showing 27 to 28C and the cpu cooler feels like room temp. In short, its
a good main board and came with the UEFI crap turned off.

Highly recommended by Grandpa gene.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis