Re: usb Confusion

Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> writes:
> If I recall correctly, Martin doesn't see well, which explains a
> chunk of the confusion here.

	Well, my wife has excellent vision and we were talking
about how pictures can be almost worthless after a certain point.
Several of those small connectors look similar.  A Lightning
connector is about the same size as a microusb but the microusb
has 2 little key ways on one side that insure it can only be put
in facing one way.

> Martin: Crucial is probably describing the other end of the
> cable they supplied -- assuming they supplied a cable. It might
> be proprietary at one end and USB type A at the other. But what
> you are describing could also be USB type C at one end.

	There was nothing in the box except the drive which is
the reason for the confusion.

	I thought the microusb with the 2 key ways was a type C
and that's when I learned it wasn't when one of those wouldn't
fit either way.

> >       What is the correct nomenclature for the most common usb
> > connector that has been around for 25 or 30 years and fits the
> > vast majority of devices using usb?
>
> USB type A is rectangular and common on PC ends.
>
> USB type B is trapezoidal, almost square, and common on printers
> and other largish peripherals.

	That's what I always thought.  This makes all the sense
in the world.

> USB type B-mini is trapezoidal, very small, and has distinct
> indentations on the top left and right sides. It was common for
> small peripherals like MP3 players.
>
> USB type B-micro is flatter than B-mini and does not have
> indentations. It is common for cell phones and small
> peripherals.
>
> USB type C is about the size of a lightning connector, rounded
> on both sides, and is designed to go in upside down or rightside
> up without causing problems.

	I guess I was confused about the microusb versus the usb-C.

	I am about to call Crucial Tech Support and get straight
on the end that goes in the drive.

	Anyway, I appreciate the information.  Thank you.

Martin