usb Confusion

	After recently ordering and receiving a new 1 TB external
SSD drive, I realized I had no way to connect it.  It has a small
rectangular slot about 8 MM or a quarter of an inch long.  A Mac
lightning connector is almost exactly the same size but
fortunately doesn't plug in but that's the size of whatever fits.
Crucial says it is usb-A .

	What is the correct nomenclature for the most common usb
connector that has been around for 25 or 30 years and fits the
vast majority of devices using usb?

	I'll need a cable that fits the old standard usb port on
one end and the disk drive on the other.

	There's an old saying:  "Standards are great.  Everybody
should have one."

Thanks.

Martin McCormick