Re: Having trouble installing Debian on brand new hard drive

kaye n composed on 2020-02-11 21:07 (UTC+0800):

> The partition table is GPT.

Created how? Did you do it yourself prior to beginning installation of Debian?

> Imagine you're looking at the graphical presentation of my hdd in GParted.

> Starting from the left:

> 858GB NTFS partition (intended for storing all kinds of data)

> then

> 20GB ext4 partition, with mount point /

> then

> 2GB ext4 partition, with mount point /home

That's unusually small for a /home partition. If you're going to use the big NTFS
partition as your functional /home, you may be better off with /home just being a
subdirectory on / for the purpose of saving Linux-specific settings, but not your
personal data kept on the NTFS.

> then

> 1GB swap partition

> then

> 50GB NTFS partition (intended for windows)

If you rarely use Windows, that may be a perfectly good size, but because you
haven't created a Windows Reserved partition, Windows will divide it in order that
it have one (16MB IIRC).

> then, finally

> only 10MB FAT32 partition because debian installer says I need an efi but I
> don't know how big it should be.  Mount point at /boot/efi

Most likely the installer doesn't cope properly with this tiny size. Windows will
create one of size 100MB if it doesn't find one that already exists. With 16TB
drives that use 4k sectors both logically and physically, 260MB is the minimum.
Most Linux users seem to create one sized somewhere between 260MB and 500MB. Even
though formatted as FAT32, it's called ESP.

> If I boot from the hard drive, I ge this message:

> Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.43 (08/25/11)
> PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

> PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

> Reboot and Select proper Boot device
> or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Because of boot configuration failure on your HDD, it's trying to fall back to PXE
(network) boot, which since you don't have an available PXE server, is also failing.

I can only guess that DI doesn't know how to cope with the tiny ESP partition, so
Grub installation either simply didn't occur at all, or is incomplete or otherwise
failed.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/