Re: local network capability scanner?

On Friday 07 February 2020 05:53:05 Dan Purgert wrote:

> On Feb 07, 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > My local network has 2 8 port switches, one here in this room that
> > claims to be a gigabit and managed.
> >
> > One of its ports is connected to the upstream port of another dumber
> > unmanaged 8 port switch that feeds the machines in the garage, and
> > which also claims to be a gigahertz capable switch.
>
> a "gigahertz" switch?  neat :) (I think you meant gigabit again).

Guilty.  Blame it on oldtimers.

> What're the make/models (and most importantly, AGE!) of said switches?

They are a Netgear GS-108 for the managed one, about 4 years old, and
another unmanaged Netgear GS something, its up on a shelf and mostly out
of sight in the garage and its close to a decade old as it started life
here, and got moved to the garage when I bought this one. Might be both
will handle ipv6, but any ipv6 connectivity stops at the cable modem so
I generally keep it disabled.

> > But file moves to/from the machines in the garage seems to indicate
> > theres a slow connection of around 10Mb/s someplace in that path.
>
> What're the two endpoint machines?
> Do they both show link state at 1 gbit?

Depending on the driver, that or 1000M.

> What about the switches? Do their ports all show a gbit link state?
> On a gbit switch, this is usually green (with amber then indicating
> 10/100).

All active are green.

> > Do we have a utitity that for troubleshooting purposes, can take the
> > address of one of those machines, and somewhat like traceroute, but
> > report the bandwidth capability of every box in that path including
> > this machine and target addresses abilities?
>
> iperf3

Anyway, I found an answer, iperf says the net is fine. That leaves the
write speeds of the SSD's on the other end.  And I can't fix that.

So lets close this thread.

Thanks Dan

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)